Friday, December 08, 2006

Moving On

Yep, I'm back! Most of you read the tale of my adventure over at Good Yarns For those of you who did not, go check it out. I could blog about it, but that seems silly when Sue did such a great job describing it herself.

I will say that the trip and the experience was everything I was hoping for and more! I had such a fantastic time with Sue, and being part of the Ellen Degeneres Show was priceless too. It was a much needed, once in a life time experience that I will not soon forget. My Feet, back, knees and ears will not forget either!! HA. All the pain was definitely worth the gain!

During this trip I was able to cross off a couple things from my Life List. First was the reason for the trip, to be in the Ellen audience. I also was able to cross off leaving a 100% tip at a restraunt, and meeting an internet friend. I had tried to fly first class on one leg of the trip, but that didn't pan out. Apparently I didn't dress the part, as the man at the ticket counter laughed at me when I asked about upgrading. Oh well.

Most astonishing to me was the fact that although we got little sleep and we were sore as all h**l, I came home rejuvenated. It was definitely 2 days well spent!

Arriving home early Wednesday morning, I got 4 hours of sleep before full Mommy Duty kicked in again. My son had a scheduled home visit from a speech therapist in the afternoon, so I spent the day preparing myself for the news that I knew was coming.

For some reason, and I'm not sure why, "official" news changes the way you think about something. Even if you knew it "unofficially" it still makes it feel permanent. I knew what his diagnosis would be and I thought I was prepared. It really is the strangest thing, I know that my sons speech delay is not my fault but the feelings of guilt quickly consumed me. I'm over it now and I am looking forward to the adventures ahead with group speech therapy and individualized therapy which will also be a family learning experience. Bring it on.

I knew this before, but I know it for sure now. When you are a parent you love your children unconditionally. You love them no matter what. You love them when you are scrubbing crayon off the wall, and you love them when in order to get their attention you have to scream louder then they are screaming. At times you fear the outcomes of life, but the tough times make your love grow. I know that it's all gonna be alright. It will be alright because he's my son, and I've got his back through it all.

Now I must excuse myself to find a tissue.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that trip was everything you hoped for - it really was great fun!

I think unnecessary guilt must be part of the parental package. Mom's probably suffer from it the most. The good news is that there are many, many things we do for our kids that make them the great people they are today (16 year olds excluded).:o)

Anonymous said...

So no mention of the super awesome hubby who stayed home and played Mom while you were gone??? I see... it might be another 28 years before you get to do it again!!! (Its a joke, Clare)

Rob

@JDHealingTimeOnEarth said...

Always remember this: Albert is PERFECT just the way he is, and we will all be there for his journey.