Saturday, July 29, 2006

Dear Diary,

It's getting very close to the point that I have to face this insecurity. I must go to this family reunion, I must do it so that I can know these people whom I have no relationship with. It could be fun, right?

I have grown up for the better part of my life not knowing my fathers side of the family. I didn't know them, because I hardly knew my father. I always felt like the one who didn't belong, the one who said the wrong things, or was too annoying. I never felt like family with these people. Granted, we only saw eachother at funerals, 2 funerals my whole life, that's probably the problem.

I really have this need to feel accepted by these people who have shown no interest in me or my family. That just stumps me. I have been battling this "I'm not good enough" voice in my head as long as I can remember. It makes me feel like I have the plaque. I just want to be comfortable in my skin. I want to be proud of me and what I can do and can't do regardless if it's silly to them.

I do know that I like Aunt A and Uncle L. Uncle L. Is very silly and has joked around with me a lot. (Well as much as a lot can be on no more than 5 visits) He was great with my daughter, and that wins major points with me. I also know Uncle J. Who is nearly my fathers twin. (at funeral #2, I thought he was my Dad. That's how little I saw my father then) He shared a very neat letter with me that my Dad had written when I was born.

I know "of" the others. I don't know names or faces or ages. I don't know who belongs with who or what they like or don't. I want to know, and I suppose that is the purpose of the reunion. Whatever happens I must be okay with me......MUST.....I gotta cure this insecurity.

I had a great lunch date with my moms cousin Carol several months back. I call her Aunt Carol, because she has always shown interest in me and what I was up too, good or bad. While we were chatting she was able to break things down quite a bit. Our discussion was only Moms side of the family related, but I am sure that it could be easily be transferred to the feelings I have about the other side. I need to call her, we are overdue for lunch.

So, the reunion is the 5th. Please think good thoughts. I am dragging hubby along as his is my security blanket. Oh- and it's a camping reunion, which means that they will see me in the morning......A whole new bucket of issues there.....ugh

End of Pitty party.

4 comments:

@JDHealingTimeOnEarth said...

Chin-up. The ones you know, you like. Just be yourself. Smile.
You may win some and loose some, but it's not your loss. It will be theirs.

You are fine, beautiful, and YOU, just as you are.

Just remember... if they don't talk to you... you go to them and start a conversation. Say, "How am I related to you!!" =;)

Everyone might be stand-offish at first. Just roll with it.

Love you.

Unknown said...

I wish you luck on this one. My hubby had his family reunion and I was miserable... But if you give them a chance they will give you one. You will be fine... Thinking good thoughts for ya!!

Crawford said...

I don't know if this will make you feel any better but I too am nervous about the reunion. I have probably a few more memories of our family than you simply because I am older and one thing I can assure is they are REALLY nice people. They will be warm, caring and friendly with you and they will want to get to know you. Remember, everyone is going to be uncomfortable for awhile because nobody is going to recognize all of us. Besides, you'll have me there and I know and love you. We will have fun - I promise! - love, your big sister

Anonymous said...

Good luck, Christy! I'm sure when the meet you and get to know you and your family, they will really like you!