Wednesday, January 31, 2007

What to do?

We've been going through boxes in the garage lately. It's quite a project, but we are getting surprised and rewarded for our hard work. These boxes were packed up about 5 years ago when Cathey decided to become a traveling nurse. Hubs parents packed up what wasn't a bare essential and put in storage.

Most of you know that we are coming up on the 1 year anniversary of her death. We have all been a bit emotional around here. No one is sleeping well, including the kids. It's hard. It makes the process of sorting her belongings a lot harder. On a good day like Sunday we uncovered this.

This is a very old quilt made by hubs Great Grandma, known in this house as Big Momma. I was amazed at the quality of work but saddened that it had seen better days.



There are several spots where the material has shredded, or torn. There are, however, blocks that are intact and still beautiful. That brings me to the question of the day.





What in the world do I do with this? I have thought of several options.



1. Repair the quilt knowing full well that my quilting skills would never do it justice.


2. Leave it be. Which leads me to keep or donate?


3. Use the good blocks to create something new. Maybe a lap quilt?



I seem to be stuck, and not leaning in any one direction. What would you do?



I should also mention that there is a nearly identical quilt that is in good shape that we have already placed in the cedar chest.



So there ya have it. What are your thoughts?

5 comments:

@JDHealingTimeOnEarth said...

well, since you have an identical one in good shape, you could:
1. make matching pillows out of the good parts of this one, or
2. get some protective see-thru fabric- the name escapes me right now- and cover it with it to protect it.

Since you have one good one, I'd be inclined to try the first one.
XXX

Anonymous said...

Im leaning on your moms suggestion...Good idea! Then youll have a set.
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

I was going to say to patch the holes but the matching pillow idea sounds good. Good luck!

Lucy said...

My thoughts on quilts are as such....the more worn they are, the more they were loved so, being a quilter, I would repair it or display it as is on a rack. If you are any good at sewing tho...I've seen these quilts cut in patterns for teddy bears and given to family members as a rememberance. I personally wouldn't donate it tho knowing how many hours of work go into it.

.:Cris:. said...

I have a quilt in very similar condition that was made by hubby's grandmother. I decided (but haven't done it yet) that I am going to salvage it. I'm going to cut the quilt apart (GASP!) and gift each of my children with a square (large squares mind you!) at an important milestone- graduation or something. Or maybe I'll frame them and display them in some manner until they eventually get passed down.

Good luck in what you decide!
Cris~