Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Happy "A" Day to us!



Yay! Today is our 7th wedding anniversary! It has gone by very fast, and it seems like it was a couple weeks ago that our love story began...

(prepare for a sappy story)

After about 3 months of long distance dating, meaning that we saw each other every other weekend, Rob proposed on a very nice dinner cruise. From that moment on we worried about planning a wedding that only one or 2 family members could afford to attend.

I was stationed at Tinker AFB, Oklahoma at the time, and Rob was stationed at a Reserve Center in Little Rock AR. My family was in WA and his family was in TX. There was no possible way it could have worked out with out alienating one side or the other. It was a nightmare we were dreading.....

Then it hit us...One day during the week when Rob was in town we decided we should just go do it. Just go to the JOP and throw all the nightmare out the window.

It was a Wednesday morning- and we had no clue what we were doing. We didn't bring any witnesses so we returned the favor to a Mexican couple who didn't speak English. I don't think that they knew what they were doing either!! Our vows were whispered just loud enough for the JOP to barely hear and when they were over he forgot to say "You may kiss the bride."

All though I was scared you know whatless, I knew that I had made the right decision. The military would not bring us closer together without being married, and unlike all my previous relationships I knew that I was loved. I knew that he was a keeper. I knew that in him, I had found my place......(told ya!)

We didn't escape the nightmares that day however.....We needed to pass along the news that we were married to our families......The thought was nauseating! We knew there would be anger, but underestimated the disappointment. We promised that we would have a ceremony at some point, but that seems silly now.

Hurt feelings were mended, and our love grew leaps and bounds when the Air Force transferred me to Little Rock. It has been a dream ever since!

Flash forward 7 years and here we are, 2 kids and a great life started. I'm in heaven....

Happy Anniversary Baby- I made the best decision of my life 7 years ago today. I Love you!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a great day, but I was sweating horribly from the nerves. But it was the turning point in both our lives. And although we might have "looked" back several times, we have never gone back on each other. I love you too.
Rob

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!! I hope you guys have a great day!
Stephanie

@JDHealingTimeOnEarth said...

Thanks for saving me lots of money! Just teasing!!!!!
Love you both.
Mom

P.S.... Happy Anniversary, altho I said it two weeks ago!

Anonymous said...

Aww! What a sweet story! I hope all is well between the families now. (Were you in the AF? Wow! I don't think I would have passed the audition!) Happy Anniversary!

San Diego: Oooo! San Diego is wonderful. My friend's sister is in the Navy and got stationed there about 20 years ago and is still there. When I was in college 20 years ago, my friend and I used to drive there on weekends just to visit San Diego...from TUCSON!! It's that nice! I would love to live in SD. There are lots beautiful beaches and fun places for families to visit! Your son is going to love Legoland!! I'm pea green with envy! Good luck!!

Netter said...

Awwww, Happy Anniversary! Well, I'm still looking for a keeper. I'm in no huge rush though...and let me tell you, my family is not so happy about that either. The best way to break them of saying, "Your NEXT" at each family wedding..or so I have found, is to say, "Your Next" at family funerals. It works. Its terrible...but they get the point.

LG said...

Happy Anniversary Christy! Thanks for sharing such a beautiful story!

Anonymous said...

Christy - isn't Netter's comment funny?! That's what I love about her!!

Christy said...

Thanks for all the nice comments Ya'll!

You're welcome mom, I'll send the bill for the JOP..:)

Netter said...

lol...thanks Sue! You know, my Mother blames my mouth on my Father...but truth be told, my Mom has some great zingers fly out of her mouth every blue moon.

By the way, what a sweet comment by Rob.