Saturday, July 01, 2006

4 options

As the Navy says anyway......

It's time again for the anxiety of an impending move to kick into high gear in our house. It's never pleasant, or relaxed, quite frankly it sucks.


In Robs position, the Navy assigns him to a new command every 3 years, rotating between Sea duty and Shore Duty. It's his time now to go back to a ship, and for his job there is only 4 (count em 4) possibities. (Increase stress level here.) In order of our preference here is the list

  1. Everett WA. Yep, home sweet home. We are currently here on shore duty and want (badly)to stay here. We happen to live in a nice house with great neighbors and a superb school district. There are 2 ships in this area that are possibilities. The bad news is that because of his rank there are not many job openings on those ships. Chances are maybe 30%, unless of course a miracle happens.
  2. Mayport Florida. (sigh) Another trip across the country and into uncharted territory. Rob has been there when he was a single guy and liked it. Me? I have no desire to live in FL, none at all. As you know from my previous posts, I don't like heat but I especially don't like humid heat. I also do not want to be that far away from family again. Which brings us to #3
  3. San Diego CA. Humm, word is that it is next to impossible to live there financially. We would need to find a rental home within budget which seems to only allow for a 2 bed no yard, ugly house. The pluses are that we are closer to family, and even closer to Robs Dad. Disneyland won't break the bank, and there are many ships to choose from. Military housing might also be an option. Bad news- hello Southern border and I'll repeat my dislike for humid heat here.
  4. Lastly, Norfolk VA. Been there, done that. This is where we were before coming to Everett. I like the area, I lived through the climate and a hurricane and there are some good schools. Bad news you ask? Imagine a city that's economy is based soley on the Navy, and then they treat all military families like sewage. It's bad! I thought Rob was joking when he warned me before we got there the first time. The top of the bad is that VA is a "Commonwealth" and they tax like crazy and have sincerely messed up laws. The good? I know my way around, I know the neighborhoods to stay out of and I still have friends there.

I don't want to sound to "compainey" about this. This is the life we continue to choose for our family. The military has treated us well and I could not be prouder than my man for his honorable service. Especially now days! Truth be told, I hope that he can surpass the 20 year retirement (5 years away) and continue another 10. Leaving the military scares me, it's all I know......

Anyway- The job openings come out July 11th. Please cross your fingers for us!! I'll keep you posted!

3 comments:

Netter said...

I have my fingers crossed that that 30% will suddenly become 100% for you.

@JDHealingTimeOnEarth said...

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!

think ONLY positive thoughts about it, envision your ideal....

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the big decision! I hope everyting works out well for you!