Friday, April 18, 2008

Conversations with Kids

Over the past week the hub and I have had some interesting conversations with our kids. Here are some blurbs from the best ones.

The boy in a conversation with Dad had us both laughing but trying as best we could to be firm. The boy is 3 1/2, and talking up a storm so it's hard not to giggle a bit. Here's how this one went down.

Boy: "Oh Damnit"
Dad: "Hey, we don't say that word around here"
Boy:"I can't say damnit anymore Daddy?"
Dad: "Right, you can't say that word."
Boy: "Okay, I won't say Damnit anymore"
Dad: " You can say oh shoot instead"
Boy: "I say shoot and no damnit anymore"
Dad laughing. "Stop saying that word son"
Boy: "Stop saying Damnit?" Okay Daddy no more Damnit I promise."
Dad still giggling: "Okay good job"
Boy: "You're right Daddy, damnit is a bad word"
Dad: SO STOP SAYING IT!!
Boy: "Okay, I won't say damnit anymore."

Boy to himself a few minutes later "Remember no more damnit, only shoot not damnit. Damnit is a bad word, I go to naughty chair if I say damnit again. Yep. no more damnit"

Seriously funny, especially when he reminds himself under his breath. He's cute (damnit)

The gal and I went and had dinner together last night. Mental note to myself, when the gal wants to have dinner just me and her bring pen and paper and a voice recorder cause she is about to spill everything on her mind. This is the second or third time this has happened at dinner!

The gal was worried about one of her best friends at school. Apparently this friends never does her homework and isn't turning in class work either. Here's how she told me the story...

Gal: "Mom I am rally worried about ****, she's not doing her homework and she keeps crying in class.

Me: "Really, I wonder what is wrong, have you asked her?"

Gal: "She goes straight out to the barn to play with her horse after school and never does her homework. So I (daughter) said (friends name) you need to get your priorities figured out. Is a horse more 'importer' than homework?

Friend: "Duh, yes"

Gal: No, homework is more 'importender' than your horse, otherwise you'll be in second grade forever."

Me: (Pats self on back) "You're right gal, homework is important. I'm proud of you."

Gal goes on to say

"Mom, everyone at school is freaked out about the WASL. The teachers are grumpy and we can only whisper. One of my 3rd grade friends says that you have to do well on the test or you can't go to college. That freaks me out."

Me: " How in the world do you know about the WASL?"

Gal: "Cause it's been going on all week and I can't take the stress anymore."

I thought to myself, YOU'RE NOT EVEN TAKING THE DARN TEST!!!

I went on to explain that there is nothing to worry about and that when she is in 3rd grade and takes the test for the first time she will do just fine. I also mentioned that she is a LONG way away from worrying about going to college.

Ghesh, obviously there is something seriously wrong with this picture. I'd prefer that she know nothing about the WASL, which is the states "No child left behind" crappy attempt at measuring progress. But alas, she knows and is freaked out one full year before she will be required to take it. Sigh, a call to her teacher is in order as this test runs until mid May. ugh.

3 comments:

@JDHealingTimeOnEarth said...

ROFL about Buddy Boy's conversations! You didn't relay that one to me yet.

Sweetie Pie is extra sensitive, so good that you are tuned into that. A talk with teacher sounds very important.

Aunt Jenny said...

How funny. I can always tell when my daughter wants to talk cuz she wants to go on lame boring errands with me...asks to even!...and then spills it.
have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Aw, too cute! Just priceless.

We've got the CAHSEE here. The Boy took it in 10th(!) grade for crying out loud and passed. I just don't see how a 10th grader has had enough high school to pass but that's when they start testing them. Then they have 11th and 12th to retake the test. Hmm, makes me wonder about that test.